Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why did I become a reporter again?

Oh right, to encourage the public's right to know, expose corrupt public officials and, essentially, save the world ---- or at least my local community.

But I gotta make a living too, right? Not gonna happen in the newspaper industry, it seems.

After an already difficult past few weeks for employees at MediaNews Group -- which included a freeze on our annual pay raises, lay offs and cuts to our 401K matching benefits --- us employees were dealt another blow today.

I was not so pleasantly surprised to receive a text message during my lunch break from one of my colleagues telling me to, "Check your e-mail ..... mandatory furloughs!!!!" It seems upper, upper management sent a memo to all employees during our lunch hour informing us that between Feb. 1 and March 31, we must take a mandatory one-week furlough to save the company money, and help prevent further layoffs.

First thought: "What the @%$^&!*?"
Second thought: "Nice of you to tell us AT lunch."
Third thought: "I don't feel so good..."
Fourth thought: "What, only three days notice?"

They say it's just another sign of the tough financial times. I mean, we're not the only ones, Gannett newspapers announced earlier this month they would be implementing the same measure for its employees, for the same reason.

Although, I have to say, sometimes I wonder if newspaper moguls are being opportunists at the same time? Taking advantage of cost-cutting efforts, and piggybacking on a faltering economy? Last time I checked with the Securities Exchange Commission, MNG's Dean Singleton was still raking in over a million bucks a year.

I'm not denying the rutt newspapers are in, but the question still lingers in my mind. Along with that other question about why I decided to slave away in an industry that forces me to take on a second job in order to may my bills.

Clearly, I'm no Mother Theresa.

No comments:

Post a Comment