Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I-News

I love how there are new, innovative strategies being implemented by my own corporate company in my own newspaper division, in the area I work in, and I don't even know about them!

Talk about corporate communication.

Anyway, Reporter G reports that Dean Singleton is rolling out a pilot program at the Los Angeles Daily News that will allow subscribers to pick what stories they want to read "via a stand-alone printer hooked to a phone line or through a web-enabled device." The service is called I-News and is supposed to unfold this summer.

My first beef: As referenced above, is that fact that we employees in Media News Group haven't even heard about this. What, no input? Especially since - if all goes well - this may or may not be implemented at some point in other papers.

My second beef: Great idea --- maybe if it were 20 years ago. I thought the whole idea of coming up with innovative plans to save the newspaper industry dealt with less printing and more targeted, or online endeavors? I mean, if it were me, and I'm already tired of getting a print newspaper everyday, why would I just then print it from home? Would I have to re-stock my own paper? Re-stock my own ink? Pay for those supplies? Might as well find articles I like online, and if I chose to, just print them from my home computer. No need for a little device I likely have to pay for to print a nice, newspaper-ie version. Or give me a Kindle-like device where I can see some sort of digital, PDF version of the newspaper, and just reload the daily paper each day.

My third beef: Reporter G goes on to highlight Media News Group's idea to possibly cut the number of daily editions to three if the LADN I-News service is success. Would have been nice to hear this straight from the horse's mouth.



1 comment:

  1. I heard through the grapevine that Lean Dean doesn't even use email. So much for leadership that is atune to dramatic changes in the media

    ReplyDelete