Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tales from a furloughed reporter


I got this classic tale of a day in the life of furloughed journalists from Kirstin.

Perfect timing considering I also just ended a 5-day furlough that did wonders for my mental sanity, but will ultimately make me crazy all over again once I get my next paycheck. 

Funny thing is, if Dean Singleton and his corporate cronies were hoping that in addition to decreased expenses, these forced furloughs would also provide some much-needed inspiration in their workforce, they may have been on the right track. Going back to work this week, I felt fresh and motivated - which essentially means ready to work 12-hour shifts again without paid overtime. 

And there is talk that these first-quarter furloughs could return in the next three quarters of the fiscal year. I mean that seems to be the trend at Gannett. We employees at Media News stand to lose 8 percent of our salaries if we were furloughed five days each quarter - that's a big chunk, especially if you're a hot shot manager making upwards of $100,000 a year. 

I guess the joke's on us.

And by the way, that bit about the furlough beard ---- one of my editors sorely beaten by the fact that he's pretty much been at half staff for the last month and a half is threatening to bring back a morale booster that tried earlier this year: The Moralestache. Yup, a morale mustache. 




1 comment:

  1. and you probably hadn't even seen this story


    http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/04/how-to-restructure-medianews-into-a-digital-enterprise-with-a-future/

    so sorry...

    ReplyDelete